The privilege Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Well, it took longer than I thought it would, but I am finally settling into a routine with life and work post-seminary. It's kind of weird not having some exam or paper hanging over my head all the time or stack of note cards in my pocket that need to memorized. Not that I really miss all of that, but it was a sort of routine. And anyone who knows me well knows that I love a routine. Anyway, on to what I really wanted to blog about...


Martin Lloyd-Jones is quoted as saying that preaching is "the highest and greatest and most glorious calling to which anyone can ever be called."

There is no doubt in my mind that he was exactly right in saying this. Preaching is indeed a glorious task. When a man enters into the pulpit he bears an incredible responsibility. For after pouring himself into the text all week long and searching out the Lord's direction in understanding, explaining, and applying the text, he speaks on behalf of God and instructs God's people in truth and righteousness. Preaching, of course, is not something to be taken lightly. It requires much study, much prayer, and much humility.

I'm learning more and more about this reality this summer. I have the great privilege as the pastoral intern to be preaching through a series at Ambassador Presbyterian Church in Apex, NC this summer. I've preached before and I've even preached at this church before, but being able to preach for several weeks and to learn about the routine involved in frequent preaching is a remarkable learning opportunity. I love this church and I love God's people who attend there and it is an immense privilege to minister God's Word to them. I'm halfway done and I am learning more than I ever thought I would. But most of all, I'm learning to lean on Jesus more and more. When I am overcome during the week with my inadequacies and inhibitions I am left to do nothing else but seek him in prayer and ask for wisdom to understand and strength to go forward. When I am struggling with trying to make sure I say everything just right, I am reminded that perfection is an idol that I purposed to destroy long ago and I need to embrace the Spirit's work ahead of my abilities, etc. But most importantly, I am learning that I was made to do this. I'm still not sure I'll be preaching every week when God finally calls me to a ministry in a Church, but nevertheless I know that I am called to teach God's people. And even in the midst of all the learning, I can stop and rest knowing that I've indeed been called to do this...I've been called to this divine work and, with his help, I'll give myself to it and do it for his glory.

0 comments: